background 12282014

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Supplies

Well, we meet again!

I was actually encouraged to write this post. And it's not something new... we've talked about it before. Let me explain...

Some time ago, there was an opening at the Glasgow Weather Service Office. Interested candidates put in their resumes, and a very nice gentleman was selected. He went to Glasgow before the rest of his family to get things set up and ready for their arrival.

On June 10th, this man woke up and was getting ready to head to work. He was excited because the next day he was flying to Arizona to be reunited with his wife and kids and bring them back to their new home in Montana. As he was doing his laundry, a huge explosion occurred. What the explosion didn't destroy of the home, the resulting fire did. His neighbor heard him yelling for help and ran over and assisted.  He was transported to the local hospital with serious burns. He was stabilized and then transported via AirStat Ambulance to Salt Lake City and the University of Utah Burn Center.  The house was a total loss.

This man held on to life with a vengeance... and while he had the spirit to keep going, his body could not keep up. After more than 40 days of battling the burns, the surgeries, and everything else....he passed away.

I was in contact with the Glasgow office to get an address for his family early on so we could send his kids some blankets. With all that was going on, I didn't get it until a few days ago.  So I start going through my blankets on hand to find what I want to be two very special blankets for these kids. And here is where we reach the point of this post.... the two kids are boys...one 6 and one 8 years old. While I have given away several blankets over the course of the summer, I still have many left. But there are almost none to give to two boys, 6 and 8 years old. Lots and lots of girl blankets. Lots of small blankets. Some with great fronts for boys (or girls) but a definite girly fabric on the back. But I have almost nothing that will work for these two boys. I almost regretted sending some out to Benefis recently... maybe I should have held some back... but they need boy blankets, too.

So once again, I am encouraging you to think about creating more boy blankets and quilts. And if you have something that will work for either a girl or boy on the front, please try to do the same for the back...something plain or geometric...rather than flowers or something girly.

Thanks so much for everything you do!

Kindness always~
gina


No comments:

Post a Comment